[OLUG] swap partition fun

W. Mark Hagler hagler at th.in.gs
Tue Mar 28 04:08:43 UTC 2000

MKSWAP(8)           Linux Programmer's Manual           MKSWAP(8)

NAME
       mkswap - set up a Linux swap area

SYNOPSIS
       mkswap [-c] [-vN] [-f] device [size]

DESCRIPTION
       mkswap sets up a Linux swap area on a device or in a file.

       (After creating the swap area, you need the swapon command
       to  start  using  it.  Usually  swap  areas  are listed in
       /etc/fstab so that they can be taken into use at boot time
       by a swapon -a command in some boot script.)

       The  device  argument  will  usually  be  a disk partition
       (something like /dev/hda4 or /dev/sdb7) but can also be  a
       file.   The  Linux kernel does not look at partition Id's,
       but many installation scripts will assume that  partitions
       of  hex  type  82 (LINUX_SWAP) are meant to be swap parti-
       tions.

..snip..

You can, of course, read the rest by typing 'man mkswap'.