[OLUG] confused again

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Fri Mar 24 03:35:31 UTC 2000

The isapnpdump command gets the Plug 'n' Pray info from your ISA devices.  If you
don't have an PnP modem, you won't see anything.

To check to see if the modem works, put in a link called /dev/modem to what serial port
your modem is hooked up to (or which port you *think* the modem is hooked up to).
I.e. "ln -s /dev/ttyS01 /dev/modem".  Then, in an xterm, type "minicom".  An
old-school terminal-emulator should come up.  If Linux recognizes the modem at that
port, minicom will send it an init string.  If not, it will not have the init string
displayed.  Obviously, if you are not 100% sure which serial port the modem is
attached to, you may have to do some trial-and-error with what port the modem is on.

Do this first.  Tell us how it goes.

- mikeh

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 09:21:24PM -0600, Nathan Brown wrote:
> I asked some linux users on a linux channel in Starchat.net if they
> could help me get my modem setup and they led me to this.
> They told me to just do isapnpdump >/etc/isapnp.conf
>
> well, the only thing I can get out of that is that it is a file
> containing information.  Mine contains nothing.
> they then told me to edit it but it's empty so what do i do?
> they told me to uncomment the right lines so I am assuming it's supposed
> to have lines but there are none .. How come ?
> I have always thought that my installs were not quite right ... maybe i
> just need more confidence but is there anything you can do for me here?
> thanks
> nate
>
> ps.  I'm still trying to get ppp to work .. i helped a friend get his
> working but not mine .. Also the same friend gave me the modem he was
> using thinking it was the modem i was using but this modem does not seem
> to be recognizable it will not respond or it is busy i have tried all
> ports that seem to be available ..
> I'm using KDE menus   .. Kppp to set it up
> thanks again

Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas