[OLUG] can we talk backups?

Rogers, John C NWD02 John.C.Rogers at nwd02.usace.army.mil
Thu Mar 23 16:54:15 UTC 2000

I have a question on LINUX backups also.  Does anyone know if there is a
dump or ufsdump or dump.ffs type utility for LINUX?  That is what I use on
Solaris and other RISC systems here.  A good scheme would be to follow the
modified tower of Hanoi algorithm that comes with most dump man pages.
Start at level zero and do incremental from there.  The reason is I thought
tar and cpio could not handle block special files so your backups would be
inconsistent?  Maybe that is not true anymore.  Anyone know for sure?

Also does LINUX have a raw root type of device in it?  I used to use that
device on MIPS RISC OS to do raw disk dumps using the dd command.  It was
really nice dd if=/dev/rawroot of=/dev/rmt/ctape0 and the system would do a
low level block dump of the root partition.  The beauty of this was if your
system was hosed and dead on the boot disk you would boot a tape utility
program from tape or disk and then dd the image back to the new disk.  In 5
minutes tops your system would be restored and running again would a root
image from the last save.  Really cool.

Appreciate any posts as always,

John