[OLUG] can we talk backups?

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Thu Mar 23 04:18:59 UTC 2000

Here's my idea:
	make a level 0, full backup;
	make an incremental backup for ea of the next 10 days;
	push the eleven day old incremental *.tar to arch0.tar;
	push the old arch0.tar to arch1.tar;
	reset this process on the first of the mo.

This will take 3 backups to cover a whole mo..  One will be traversing
an eleven day period, one will contain the incremental backup from the
prior eleven days, and the 3rd will hold the data from days n-22 to
n-33.  Reset on the first of the mo. just so as to have a clearer idea
of the cycle.

I have enough disk space that the non-replaceable files: config,
dotfiles, notes, data, information can be tarred and stored on
harddrives other than the one they came from.  In fact, I'm going to set
it up so that any 2 of 3 disks can fail and the 3rd disk will contain
all the files I want saved.

This seems like a good home.net scheme for data security.  If I run
short of disk space I'll just cut back to a 22day cycle (2 sets of tars,
instead of 3).  Barring an act of god, I should be pretty well protected
without having to buy a tape drive or spend time juggling tapes.

Vincent's script solved some problems I was trying to sort out.  Thanks
Vincent.

Mike