[OLUG] First sparc

Rogers, John C NWD02 John.C.Rogers at nwd02.usace.army.mil
Wed Mar 22 19:32:25 UTC 2000

Solaris 8 is free and open source now.  http://www.sun.com/solaris Sun will
maintain the OS but the money is in hardware and it kicks any Intel wannabe
machines off the planet when it comes to real systems running commercial
applications.  That is why 9 out of 10 top internet sites like Yahoo, Ebay,
Pricepoint and more all use the big Sun iron (Starfire 10's).  Intel has
it's place but for now a 2 or 4 way Intel box is a joke when compared to a 2
or 4 way Sun box running RISC and Solaris.  Intel just can not get the speed
to the disks and I/O subsystems that the RISC boxes do, especially in the
Ultra platforms running 64 bit PCI cards in them.  Plus by the time you add
ECC memory, hot swap PCI and the other hardware needed to make Intel robust
you have very few vendors making boxes (Compaq, HP, IBM).  You have spent as
much as a Sun with less shelf life.

We use LINUX/Intel where is makes sense and consider it disposable but for
our corporate data systems we always rely on Sun.  In 10 years with working
with Sun I have never had to call support to fix a box and these boxes run
365 x 24.  We just excessed a Sparc II that still was working and we bought
it in 1989.  I am sure you can find it at a DOD auction site near you soon.

Just some thoughts, checkout Solaris 8 if you get a chance and you like it.

John