[OLUG] First sparc

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:14:26 UTC 2000

I'm kind of wondering what the advantage of going with sparc hardware is
for a small computer like that... For example, your $5000 could get you a
sparc 10... but if you go with intel hardware you get dual 650mhz pIIIs, 1
gig of ram, 2 18 gig ultra2 disks, 100bt eth, no cdrom, basic vid. That
was from penguin computing for a 2U rack unit.

Yes, I know sparc hardware is more reliable, and a 400 mhz sparc will eat
a pentium of the same speed for lunch, but with dual 650s for the same
price, that is made up. Buying an intel system gets you within .09% of
the reliability of sparc hardware (and easier to replace if it
smokes). You save money by using linux instead of solaris too... Although
it looks like solaris 8 is only $75 now. Course, having hardware just to
have it, or just to have it for a special reason is cool. I have a G3 mac
for that reason.

Of course this only applies to a small computers, if i were buliding a
system to run the main db for a billion dollor corp on, it'd be one big
ass sparc.

# Daniel Pfile        # I have no cool signature.
# pfiled at marietta.edu # Finger for free illegal software.