[OLUG] Symbolic Link

mesc mescie at home.com
Thu Mar 16 14:51:05 UTC 2000

Subject:
        Symbolic Links
   Date:
        Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:21:44 +0000
   From:
        mesc <mescie at home.com>
     To:
        "olug at bstc.net" <olug at bstc.net>

Hi all,

About the time I got my ppp working thanks to all your input the service

I ordered from @home a few weeks earlier.
    After a little configuring I got linux to recognize my 3c509
ethernet card at boot.I then enabled dhcp and  made a symbolic link as
so>>ln -s /etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf after renaming my /etc/resolv.conf to
/etc/resolv.conf_bak.
    ifconfig told me my eth0 was up so I pinged my primary nameserver
successfully yet when I tried to browse with netscape I got a DNS error
so I checked /etc/resolv.conf to see if the info in it  was right but it

and it's backup were gone.I tried to create a new /etc/resolv.conf but
got the message back >>too many levels of symbolic links.
    Where did I go wrong and how would I fix this?And if
/etc/resolv.conf is filled out right should that solve my DNS problem?

                Thank you,Gary Martin