[OLUG] printer woes

John P McDaniel jpmcdaniel at home.com
Wed Mar 15 03:43:38 UTC 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Phil Brutsche wrote:

> First question is: are you sure that PPA is the right driver?
> Apparently, there are two drivers available for ZIP drives: one for newer
> drives, and one for older drives.  The driver ppa.o is for the older
> units.  Try compiling up the other driver; it's ims.o IIRC.

accoding to the kernel config help, i used the right module (i have an
older //port zip drive that does not say 'autodetect' on the cable.)  i should
have mentioned: i can 'insmod ppa' and use the zip drive just fine.

> Is the printer on?  Does it have paper?  I get that message when those
> conditions are true.

um... yeah, those things are fine.  i made sure that the printer was
actually online (according to the led panel) and all that.

//john