[OLUG] ppp

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Thu Mar 9 04:05:12 UTC 2000

Make sure your options in the inet pppd command aren't conflicting or
repeating the options in the options file... but you knew that.  I've
never had to do it, but com3/irq3 being irregular, it would probably
require some command line to let the system know what irq the modem
requires... setserial I believe is what you need.

The inet file is basically setting the modem up with a setserial command
and then executing the pppd command.  But making an internet connection
isn't the only thing you are likely to do with your modem, so the
setserial line would be better off in the start up script
/etc/rc.d/rc.local (redhat).  Then you could rm the inet file and just
type pppd to start the process.  But leave it in the inet script for
now.  Keep it simple til it works.

see note below...

Mike