[OLUG] ppp

mesc mesc at radiks.net
Wed Mar 8 17:23:37 UTC 2000

Here's what I've done lately.I dowloaded the radiks scripts as  Mark
Lichtenberg suggested,Read the README and edited the files radiks.scp
and inet and copied radiks.sp to /etc and inet to /user bin with the
suggested  permissions,I then copied /usr/sbin/pppd and /usr/sbin/chat
to /usr/bin.Ithen typed inet from the command line and  it printed this
back>>connect "/usr/bin/chat -v -t 120 -f /etc/ File not found

#radiks.scp
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
'' "AT&F"
OK ATDT3464944
ogin: xxxx
ord: \qxxxxxxx

#inet
#!/bin/bash
#MAKE SURE 'pppd' (usually /usr/lib/ppp/pppd) resides in /usr/bin/
#MAKE SURE 'chat' (usually /usr/lib/ppp/chat) resides in /usr/bin/
#MAKE SURE TO : chmod all data files to 600 FOR SECURITY PURPOSES.
#MAKE SURE TO : chmod this file to 700 FOR SECURITY PURPOSES.
#MAKE SURE /dev/modem IS LINKED TO THE CORRECT COM PORT /dev/cua(0-3)
#MAKE SURE TO UNCOMMENT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING LINE FOR YOUR MODEM.

#UNCOMMENT THIS LINE FOR 28.8
setserial /dev/modem spd_vhi

#UNCOMMENT THIS LINE FOR 14.4
#setserial /dev/modem spd_hi

#IF YOU ARE ON A LOCAL NETWORK YOU WILL HAVE TO DELETE THE default
gateway AND
#READD A ROUTE FOR YOUR LOCAL NETWORK TO SEE BOTH YOUR NETWORK AND THE
#INTERNET AT THE SAME TIME

/usr/bin/pppd /dev/ttyS2 38400 modem crtscts defaultroute connect
"/usr/bin/chat -v -t 120 -f /etc/radiks.scp"

    Seeing that radiks.scp was similar to my chat file I cp
/etc/ppp/chat and rm -r /etc/radiks.scp,ran inet and got this line in my
log>>Mar  8 14:01:04 jimbo pppd[1340]: too few parameters for option
connect

The option file I'm currrently using

/dev/ttyS2
name jimbo
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
crtscts
lock
asyncmap 0
connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat'

nodetach
debug
kdebug 4

    My question is which if any of these 2 holds the most promise to
work and if it's the second way which file would I edit to correct the
too few connection parameters?

                Thank you,Gary Martin