[OLUG] yet more ppp

Mike McNally mmcnally3 at prodigy.net
Sun Mar 5 21:32:49 UTC 2000

If after connecting with minicom you don't get a shell type login... and
then password prompt, then they have to be using pap or chap (imo).  Pap
is easier, so assume pap and put the string: "username * password",
without the quotes, in the pap-secrets file, etc/ppp dir
make a simple chat file:

ABORT	'BUSY'
ABORT	'BAD LOGIN'
TIMEOUT	35
''	ATZ
OK	better.init.str
OK	ATDTip.number
CONNECT

The last line might need to be modified to connect '' or '' connect or
ok connect.  But that is what works for me.  Then add connect line to
the options file referencing the chat script. The last time I installed
debian it setup the ppp files in a more sophisticated manner which
corrects the security holes created by following the ppphowto.  Read the
security sec in the pppd man for more info on that, but the short story
is: I've never had so many programs and advanced features of programs
properly configured as when I installed debian.  I was unable to get a
copy of debian 2.2 or better so I got back on redcrap, mandrake to be
exact, and in no time I was hard at trying to make things work that just
installed properly with the older distro of debian.

Mike