[OLUG] sound

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Thu Jun 8 00:58:29 UTC 2000

> I've been having a lot of grief getting my sound card working. I just
> recently blew Red Hat away and installed SuSE 6.3. I've always used
> sndconfig under RH, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of utility
> under SuSE. So, I copied the settings verbatim from Red Hat's
> /etc/conf.modules into SuSE's /etc/modules.conf, and I used pnpdump to
> create the isapnp.conf script. Isapnp is running at boot up, and says
> that everything's working fine. I did an lsmod and saw all the
> appropriate modules loaded, but the sound still doesn't work. For some
> reason it's not loading anything now, and when I try to modprobe the
> drivers it seems to work but nothing is being loaded.
>         Can someone tell me exactly what's the procedure for getting a
> sound card working in Linux?

You're doing it the right way, but I think you need to give a better
description; especially on the last line of the first paragraph.

Basically, if you see the modules loaded in `lsmod` then everything that
needs to be loaded _is_ loaded.  It would help alot to have the output of
'lsmod' and the last 20 lines or so of 'dmesg' after repeating another
attempt at loading the drivers and trying to get sound.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein