[olug] cron

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Fri Jul 21 22:54:39 UTC 2000

mesc says:

>     I'm making headway with cron,I have it running but it's not  right
> yet.I have updatedb set to run once a week yet  my HD light is  on
> constantly so I checked ps aux and this was in there repeatedly..

> * * * * 0 /usr/bin/updatedb

What you have will run every minute on Sundays, right?

If you want it to run once a week, pick the time of day and put that in.
For example:

0 1 * * 0  /usr/bin/updatedb

will run updatedb once a week at 1:00 am Sunday.

For religious reasons, I give my machine Sunday off, but expect it to
be hard at work at seven Monday morning:

0 7 * * 1 /usr/bin/updatedb

I always forget to watch Futureramma; this could help:

0 18 * * 0 /usr/local/bin/bender_me_softly

"bender_me_softly" should be a script to use X10 to turn your TV on to
Fox 42.

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619