[olug] Brainbench

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Mon Jul 17 16:26:30 UTC 2000

>From: "Matt Payne" <payne at acm.org>
>Subject: Re: [olug] Brainbench

> > Interesting!  I got a 3.53 on the Red Hat test - there was a decent
amount
> > of what I would term "arcana" that noone should really have to
remember -
> > that's what man pages and help files are for, but it was interesting.
> >
> > Tim #1
>
> IMHO this is one of the things that makes certification's nifty.  You
> don't always score as high as you'd expect...
>
> There is no magic bullet for deciding if a person can do a job.  IMHO
> trends toward certification are a great thing.  Certification's narrow
> focus mean more than the ambiguity of a BS.

Except that any web-based certification program is laughably easy to cheat
on...  Brainbench says that only X number of seconds are allowed for each
answer - unless they're checking for that in their server code, and not just
enforcing it on the client side, that's a joke!  Hmm, might bear some
experimentation... ;-)

And, of course, it would be quite easy to capture questions, get their
answers, and put them in a nice little searchable database on another
website - hit alt-tab, type in a phrase, get the answer, and alt-tab back.
Game over!

There's no magic bullet, but I don't think knowing whether to use an
uppercase P or a lowercase P in an option to lpr is going to help much - it
would be better, in that case, to ask what the command is for quickly and
easily finding out ("man lpr") - THAT knowledge is what would enable someone
to properly work with the program...

Tim #1