[olug] how to understand IPchains

puzzled puzzled at home.com
Sat Jul 15 14:52:30 UTC 2000

    These are the surefire steps to understanding what ipchains does

    1. read W Richard Steves TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1

    2. read Rusty's ipchains howto

    3. go to www.freshmeat.net and get pmfirewall

    4. install pmfirewall and examine /usr/local/pmfirewall/*

    5. compare what you see in the pmfirewall config with the docs

       This is a good start to understanding what ipchains is all about.
The Stevens book is not a light read, but TCP/IP is not a light subject. If
you just want a working firewall pmfirewall has done me well so far.

        If you complete this and want to keep going I'd suggest you visit
www.snort.org and pick up a copy of their intrusion detection system. Its
not very hard to get it running and its output is *very* interesting.