[OLUG] kernel upgrade

Adam Lassek lunatik at radiks.net
Thu Jan 27 20:03:05 UTC 2000

In the linux directory, there is a vmlinux file, that's the kernel, right? I
copied that to /boot and edited lilo.conf accordingly. Still booting to the
old kernel. I tried this with the bzImage file in linux/arch/i386/boot as
well. Are there other system files I need to overwrite as well?

Eric Penne wrote:

> what paul said cause in my case bzlilo doesn't put the
> kernel in the same place that lilo.conf points to.  At
> least that is the way it did it in RedHat for me.  I
> just had to manually edit lilo.conf.
>
> --- Paul McNally <nally at radiks.net> wrote:
> > on 1/27/00 1:07 PM, Adam Lassek at
> > lunatik at radiks.net wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to upgrade my kernel, but for some reason
> > it isn't booting up to
> > it. What I've been doing is: untar the thing, run
> > make menuconfig, pick all
> > of the crap I want, then: make dep, make bzImage,
> > make bzlilo. From what I
> > can gather from the kernel HOWTO, this is how to do
> > it. Yet, when I reboot
> > it is still using the old kernel. Am I missing
> > something?
> >
> > You need to edit /etc/lilo.conf. You need to replace
> > the old kernel image
> > with the
> > new one and then run /sbin/lilo. What a lunatik ;-)
> >

> =====
> Eric Penne
> epenne at ieee.org

God, root, what is difference? - Pitr