[OLUG] trying to set up a dumb terminal

Drazak drazak at moongate.net
Wed Jan 26 05:10:15 UTC 2000

I did this about 2 years ago with an old diskless Sparc IPC.  Youll need
to set up tftpd and nfs.  The gist of it is you put the boot image for the
diskless machine in the tftp directory, then you link it to the diskless
machines MAC address in hex.  The diskless machine RARPS to get its IP,
downloads the image, boots of it, and nfs mounts a partition for itself.
It sounds hard, but it really wasnt bad.  I followed the diskless
workstation howto on linux.org and an article in the Linux Journal.  If
you are a subscriber, search online to get it.  If not, Ill dig up the old
issue and you can just have it.

Of course, I then realized that a diskless IPC was worthless for about
anything other then the experience of getting it up and running :)

_Drew