[OLUG] Introduction and DSL ISP question

brian at cbiowa.com brian at cbiowa.com
Mon Jan 24 05:11:35 UTC 2000

	When I was living in Omaha I had Cox at Home and it worked great with
Linux.  I had slackware at the time.  The only problem I had was when
you dual boot sometimes the connection to the internet would get lost
and I would have to wait as long as 30 minutes before the connection
would go live again.  I never really dug into it that much becuase I
didn't reboot that often.  I have heard though that DSL is much faster
depending on the time of day.  I do not know factually why that is but
it has something to do with DSL being a direct connection to the
internet and Cox doing bridging.  Maybe somebody else can validate that?

kaygee wrote:

> Oh yes, I've considered the cable modem option but it looked like cox at home
> was the main choice (I'll admit I didn't look overly in depth) and they
> seem to use some proprietary software which at first glance would seem to
> rule out them being tolerant of Linux (although I'm sure the service would
> work on Linux).  If cable modem access is the recommendation of the group
> for copious/cost effective bandwith I'll certainly give it a more thorough
> investigation. What cable modem ISP do most OLUG members use?
>
> Keith
> ----------
> There's ease of use and then there's ease of usefulness.
> Choose usefulness. Choose Linux.
>
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Paul McNally wrote:
>
> > on 1/23/00 9:08 PM, kaygee at kegaut01 at willy.wsc.edu wrote:
> >

> > > P.S. I enjoyed the pictures of the installfest on the OLUG webpage.  It
> > > looks like you have a thriving users group and I can't wait to contribute
> > > to it.
> >
> > You just did. Welcome.
> >
> > I am getting DSL this week, so maybe later I can share
> > my experience. Right now I have little.
> >
> > Many of our group have cable modems. Have you thought about
> > that?
> >
> > Paul

             Brian Weber
         Computer Consultant