[OLUG] Introduction and DSL ISP question

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Mon Jan 24 03:45:35 UTC 2000

I don't have a cable modem (I'm in a college dorm) but I'll put in what I
know...

> Oh yes, I've considered the cable modem option but it looked like cox at home
> was the main choice (I'll admit I didn't look overly in depth) and they
> seem to use some proprietary software which at first glance would seem to
> rule out them being tolerant of Linux (although I'm sure the service would
> work on Linux).  If cable modem access is the recommendation of the group
> for copious/cost effective bandwith I'll certainly give it a more thorough
> investigation. What cable modem ISP do most OLUG members use?

The only way to get a cable modem in Omaha is Cox at Home.  They do use their
own proprietary software.  I would have a Windows system temporarily set
up when the installation person comes so that he doesn't have a fit and
leave without doing anything.  After that it's a matter of getting the
networking information from Windows and setting up Linux accordingly.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein