[OLUG] Introduction and DSL ISP question

Eric Johnson eric_j at novia.net
Mon Jan 24 03:40:07 UTC 2000

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, kaygee wrote:

> Oh yes, I've considered the cable modem option but it looked like cox at home
> was the main choice (I'll admit I didn't look overly in depth) and they
> seem to use some proprietary software which at first glance would seem to
> rule out them being tolerant of Linux (although I'm sure the service would
> work on Linux).  If cable modem access is the recommendation of the group
> for copious/cost effective bandwith I'll certainly give it a more thorough
> investigation. What cable modem ISP do most OLUG members use?

I use the Cox at Home cable modem. Their service is standard TCP/IP. I have
two IPs; one has a Linux box and the other has a FreeBSD box acting as a
router (among other functions). I don't think that I can use all of their
'services' that come with the modem, but I don't think that I used them
over 10 times during the 9 months that I had a Windows machine up (I've
been Microsoft-free for a couple of weeks, since I changed jobs).

Their (Cox) install service was great, but I can't comment on other
aspects of customer service -- I've never had any problems.

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at novia.net