[OLUG] partitioning the HD

Vincent vraffensberger at home.com
Sat Jan 22 18:05:10 UTC 2000

Rado Bonk wrote:

> Does it mean, that Linux partition let say hda7 can start somewhere around
> 9 GB (if I would likw to keep 9GB for W98 and 3GB for Linux). I knew that
> Linux can't be installed after the certain cylinder (I think 1024). Since
> there are no problems in new distro, that is great.
> Thanks,
>
> -Rado

Now I think I know what you are talking about.  I thought you were
reffering to a size limitation in fat32 or ext2 partitions.

Unless something has changed,  /boot  will need to be inside the first
1024 cylinders (8Gb) of the first disk.  I always make a seperate
partition for  /boot  and Redhat's Disk Druid will automatically try to
place it in the first 1024 cylinders.  If it can't, I'm sure it will
produce an error.