[OLUG] connection failures

Nathan Brown tbrown at radiks.net
Sat Jan 22 00:46:44 UTC 2000

hmmmmmm i am sorry if I have sent anything wrong... you say
invisible?????/ what is going on?

I am resending below
Thanks
Nate

In reference to the below message which I received from my linux
netscape :
I did a search for SOCKS_NS on the web.  I found a couple of articles
concerning windows Netscape that had a problem with SOCKS.
This file to my understanding is what Netscape is looking for to tell it

to look up the NS .  This file or program overrides resolv.conf or
something like that ... but that
is windows they were talking about HOWEVER it makes sense as to my
problem in Linux... I did a search for SOCKS_NS in linux from the /
directory .. I found
no file or program that looked like it.?  Does that mean i need a
SOCKS_NS on my machine?  Does this mean that I have some settting wrong
somewhere pointing
to resolv.conf?  This makes sense to me if it makes sense to any of
you.  If it makes no sense to you then I'm becoming More and more
confused .

Thanks
Nate

Ps. the message i received from Linux Netscape is In between the lines
below

Nathan Brown wrote:

  Hmmmmm too late i reinstalled lol... but i did learn something
switchdesk
  works .. thanks

  does this mean anything to anyone .   I'm trying everything i can to
get my
  linux connection working .... I finally got this message again i got
it a
  long time ago but this time i typed it and am sending it to you ... it

is a
  netscape error ... maybe it can help

  Warning the following hosts are unknown:
    Home.netscape.com
    home6.netscape.com
    internic.net

  this means that some or all hosts will be unreachable.

  Perhaps there is a problem with your name server?
  If your site must use a non-root name server, you will
  needt o set the $SOCKS_NS environment variable to
  point at the appropriate name server.  It may (or
  maynot) be necessary to set this variable, or the
  SOCKS host preference, to the IP address of the host
  in question rather than it's name.

  Consult your system administrator.

Please if this is ok tell me so even if you don't have an answere to the

message i don't know what happened before
thanks
Nate