[OLUG] RealMedia

John Kennedy jkennedy at orent.com
Fri Jan 21 18:55:33 UTC 2000

Daniel Pfile wrote:

> try:
>
> http://proforma.real.com/real/player/linuxplayer.html
>
> they don't exactly advertise linux support.
>
> also, linuxnewbie.org has a new article up today:
>
> http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/software/realg2.html
>
> those urls should help you out a little
>
> # Daniel Pfile        # I have no cool signature.
> # pfiled at marietta.edu # Finger for free illegal software.

The following is fron the README file localet in /usr/doc/G2player-6.0
dir...

In order to launch the Player automatically from the Netscape browser,
you must configure Netscape so that it treats the Player as a Helper
Application.  There are two ways to do this.  The first is to use the
Netscape Preferences dialog to set Application preferences.  Use the
following parameters:

MIMEType:     audio/x-pn-realaudio
Suffixes:     ra,rm,ram

Handled By:
Application:  realplay %s

If there is already an application configured to handle the
'audio/x-pn-realaudio' MIME type (for example, RealPlayer 5.0), you
may need to replace/override those settings with those shown above,
instead of creating new ones.  Also note that the Application command
line shown above assumes that the 'realplay' executable is in your
PATH.

The second way to make the RealPlayer a Netscape Helper Application is
to manually edit the .mime.types and .mailcap files in your home
directory.  If these files do not currently exist in your home
directory, you can simply copy the example files Mime.types and
Mailcap from the RealPlayer installation directory.  For example:

        cp RealPlayerG2/Mime.types ~/.mime.types
        cp RealPlayerG2/Mailcap ~/.mailcap

That should answer the original question.
John
--
Your anti-Microsoft signatures for Friday are...

Q: What is the difference between Jurassic Park and Microsoft?
A: One is an over-rated high tech theme park based on prehistoric
information and populated mostly by dinosaurs, the other is a Steven
Spielberg movie.

In a world without fences, who needs GATES????