[OLUG] internet provider at Omaha

Eric Johnson eric_j at novia.net
Fri Jan 21 15:32:30 UTC 2000

	I use Novia, and have no complaints, but I believe that they are
no longer accepting any new dial-up accounts. You can deal with them for
DSL or ISDN if you want.

	I also have a cable modem. It works like a dream; I can NAT all
the boxes I want on it, and the speed beats anything available on DSL
unless you practically live inside the central switch.

	Re DSL: There are huge areas of town which are totally outside the
DSL service areas, because you can have a maximum cable-run length of 1500
feet to the nearest central switch to even be eligible. Beyond that, there
are a lot of places within that distance which cannot get DSL due to
various hardware (phone wiring, routing, cross-talk, etc.) issues.

	DSL is a great idea, but it's getting all the attention and work
from the phone company that Henry Ford put into picking colors for the
Model T.

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at novia.net

To succeed in the world, it is not enough to be stupid,
         you must also be well-mannered.

Voltaire