[OLUG] GLIBC Help

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Tue Jan 18 16:13:54 UTC 2000

You should download and build MySQL as mentioned in the previous response.
More below:

gvanmill at unmc.edu wrote:

> As a guy trying to move some of my work over to LINUX, I find I am not
> understanding How things work in LINUX.   I wanted to set up a database in
> LINUX. So after reading some articles in the LINUX Journal, I came to
> choose MySQL as the database.  I am running Open Linux 2.2 from Caldera.
> Open Linux 2.2 uses the KDE desktop manager which contains the Program
> kpackage to install .rpm packages.  I'm testing the install of
> MySql-3.23.8-1 using the kpackage program.  Five filenames popup as having
> a dependancy problem: libcrypt.so.1, libc.so.6
> (GLIBC_2.0)libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1), libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.1), and
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0).
>
> First, how does a person read the file name with the version number.

I'm not sure what you mean here, you can say 'locate libc.so.6' to find all
files with such a name

> Second, how can I tell what version I have,

'uname -r' tells what version of the kernel you're running. 'uname -a' give
more info about your system. For individual packages installed on your
system, you can see what's installed by saying
'rpm -qa | grep package_name_to_look_for', this will show all packages
installed that have
package_name_to_look_for as part of their name.
To get details about this package, say
'rpm -qi some_package'

More detailed info about rpm can be accessed by saying 'man rpm'

> Third, were can I get the version that I need, Fourth, Once I get it, where
> do I copy the file(s) too or install it too.

When you have system library dependecy problems, the best thing to do is to
build the desired package from the source code. Recompiling the package
locally will use whatever you have locally, and will most likely not gripe
about it. If you have the source code RPM file, you can simplify your life
greatly by using rpm to compile the package and create an installable binary
rpm file by saying (e.g. to build MySQL vsn 3.x.x from the source rpm)

rpm --rebuild MySQL-3.x.x.src.rpm

on my redhat system, this creates the file
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/MySQL-3.x.x.i386.rpm
which you can install then by saying

rpm -i /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/MySQL-3.x.x.i386.rpm

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus