[OLUG] RedHat cert study

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Fri Jan 14 16:27:51 UTC 2000

I'm assuming these comments are From: Adam Lassek <lunatik at radiks.net>
>> >When I came to work for my current employer, they wanted me to sign a
>> >document that basically said that anything I did with computers while I
was
>> >their employee belonged to them..  I made them change it to "relating to
>> >work performed for the company", which took quite awhile and a lawyer or
>> >two.  But I had them where I wanted them, because they had a big project
on
>> >their plate with me being their only hope of staffing it...
>>
>> Great, so does this mean that unless I'm an Uber Hacker, I'm gonna be SOL
>> when it comes to IP agreements?

    Hmm...  Not necessarily, some of this stuff is just boilerplate and
*good* companies don't mind getting rid of it if you squawk - but not
always.  I really don't think it can ever hurt to ask that something you
find objectionable be removed...  My company also periodically sends out
things like updates to the non-compete agreements (which, actually, I never
had to sign or even see originally) and others..  By and large, I just
totally ignore requests to sign stuff.  I figure if they don't make an issue
out of it, it must not be important enough to bother.  :-)

    But then, one advantage I have is that our corporate office is in
Denver.

    I did get cornered by a busybody once while visiting Denver to sign
something "while you're here...".  I took it from her, told her I'd have my
lawyer look it over and get back to her, and circular-filed it.  :)

Tim