[OLUG] linux internet connection

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Tue Jan 4 17:57:20 UTC 2000

No....linux will work with "floating IP addresses". I think what they mean
is "dynamic IP addresses" which means that your IP address will be
dynamically assigned every time you make a connection with the ISP...rather
than having one that stays the same all the time.

Dynamic IPs are no problem for Linux. If I had to foot a guess as to your
problem...I would say that you don't have DNS working properly. Try starting
your connection with your ISP, then open up your browser (netscape) and see
if you can go to this website:

http://207.239.221.11

If you can get to BrainStorm's web page, then I would say DNS is your
problem. Verify this by trying to go to

http://olug.bstc.net

If that doesn't work, DNS *is* the problem. You'd need to find out the IP
address of your ISP's DNS server, and add the following line to
/etc/resolv.conf

nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the DNS of your ISP).

HTH.

Chad
Nathan Brown wrote:

> I have tried for a long time to get a linux connection to the net.  Last
> night someone told me that linux will not work with a floatiing IP
> address which is what I have of course.
> Maybe this is true but it seems to me that linux should accept the
> floating IP address because in the ppp setup is an option for it.  Is
> this my problem?  I actually get connected to my ISP but cannot do any
> thing.
> Thanks
> Nate

* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus