[OLUG] Program idea.

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Tue Jan 4 16:28:01 UTC 2000

>Who said anything about modems dialing anywhere?  It could simply wait
>for a network connection before sending anything to the server app.
>Again, much the same way the distributed.net clients work.  Once the
>connection is made, the server app will have the ip address and that
>should be enough to track down either a location or a responsible
>person.  There's no need to make anything more complicated than
>necessary...  sheesh.

Oh, okay, I see now, but geez, no need to be a jerk about it!

In response, I would say, good damn luck getting anyone to successfully
track anything back from one of those Mindspring-UUnet-god-only-knows POPs
that are shared by every ISP in the country.  Most ISPs that use those would
be hard-pressed to track things back even as far as a username, much less a
location, and you'd have to go through a lot of red tape to get them to
release the info.  A smaller ISP, maybe, but not those.

Overall, I'd say go for it if you like, but I think the chances of getting
your laptop back with a program like that are, oh, say about 1 in 30 or so,
if that good.  You're assuming that someone who's smart enough to set up
their own dialup connection isn't going to be smart enough to wipe the hard
drive and do a new install first.  I know that's what I'd do.

Tim