[OLUG] ftp

W. Mark Hagler hagler at th.in.gs
Tue Jan 4 05:46:22 UTC 2000

Using another mirror won't help at all, and it won't save you any amount
of traffic to download the same set of files from a mirror instead of
the actual RedHat FTP server.

There isn't anything wrong with RedHat's ftp site.  The problem is in
your browser.  I'm not sure what file you are trying to download, but
the browser is seeing the file and is configured to use Real Player to
handle that file type.  This is set up in your Netscape preferences, and
is quite independent of any configuration of their FTP server.

You can dig into the Netscape configuration (look in the Applications
screen, which is found under the Navigator tree) and try to remove the
application entry for that file type.  Or, you can just hold down the
shift key when you click on the link, which will make Netscape save the
file to disk rather than trying to handle the file with a media player.

Rado Bonk wrote:

> Hi,
> Try Vincent's mirror at ftp://bofh.csm.edu/pub/linux/redhat
> its much more faster and you can save the traffic.
>
> Rado
> ---
> Rado Bonk
> Dept. of Geography-Geology
> UNO, Omaha, NE
>
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Nathan Brown wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me what is wrong with RedHat's ftp site?  For some
> > reason when I try to download RedHat 6.1 from thier site they seem to be
> > using Real Player to download what I want but ...it never does put the
> > file on my system or changes the name to something I don'tknow ...
> > Are they using Real Player or is this some glitch in MY system ... I'm
> > sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nate

  Email is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some
  settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.