[OLUG] Isolating flaky hardware problems

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Mon Feb 14 06:19:15 UTC 2000

tetherow at nol.org says:

> Memtest-86 is very thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 and Pentium systems
> (and compatibles).
>
> Download: http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/memtest86-2.1.tar.gz (2268 hits)
> Homepage: http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/ (3619 hits)

We tried this and it worked great!  We found a bad memory location of one
of the SIMMs first time out.  Re-running the test with SIMMs removed or
rearranged confirmed the problem and which SIMM had it.  Two other memory
tests couldn't find the problem, so I'll try this test first next time.

Thanks, Sam.  Looks like I owe you a beer.  (Just remember, I am not as
rich as Oly!)

And thanks to everyone else for the help and ideas.

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619