[olug] Debian Install

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Thu Dec 21 00:27:58 UTC 2000

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 05:17:36PM -0600, Nathan Brown wrote:
> Mike McNally wrote:
>

> Im' not sure what the simple install is .... What I have actually
> accomplished is to get a very very marginal Debian on my system ... no
> man pages no help pages other things are missing.  Lots of other things
> ..... I tried to get more but cannot get dselect or apt to go and
> actually get on the debian site.  I would like to knwo the debian IP #
> maybe i'm just not doin the DNS right .... I can ping Other IP #'s so i
> know my system is at least partially working ...

	Sounds like you just have the base installed.  If you selected a
	profile like "workstation" or some such animal during the
	install the record of that more than likely still exists and is
	just waiting for you to issue the command to install the rest of
	the packages.  Take a look in /etc/apt/sources.list
	If you have uncommented lines like -
	deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib
	non-free
	Within the file great.  If not run "apt-setup" select "http" and
	answer the questions.  Then run -
	apt-get update
	then
	apt-get upgrade

	That should install all the packages currently waiting.  Debian
	isn't always the easiest distro to install but stick with it and
	you'll learn a lot and have a nice system when your done.  Need
	more help holler.  Course you need to get your network working
	first.  You don't' need the debian ip to do that.  Use @homes
	nameservers.
	kent

--
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
      you must first create the universe."