[olug] Kernel Compilation

Vincent Raffensberger vraffensberger at home.com
Sat Dec 30 18:41:01 UTC 2000

>From what I've seen, a little optimization for make gives a huge
improvement (especially for smp).  Try this before you start compiling:

alias make='make -j 4'

I've used the "-03" option for egcs before, which should help, but I'm
never in that much of a hurry.  "info egcs" will show you all the
optimizations.  You could also recompile egcs, since it's probably just
a i386 optimized binary from installation.