[olug] network configuration

Nathan Brown tbrownarcher at home.com
Wed Dec 13 18:00:07 UTC 2000

Jason Ferguson wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> Is your network card driver compliled into the kernel or as a module? A
> stock redhat install means it would be a module, most likely. Could be that
> from the hard disk, its not loading the module for your card on demand.
> Ive never quite been able to get the kernel module autoloader working,
> personally.
>
> Jason
> VP-Type-Dude
>
> Nathan Brown wrote:
>
> > I cannot get my redhat 7 to configure the eth0 from a hard disk boot.
> > If I boot with the floppy eth0 sets up fine and I can use the network.
> > When I boot with the harddisk there is a message that it's delaying the
> > initialization of eth0 .. .... So, I go into linuxconf or netcfg and try
> > to set it up and it tells me the same thing ... delaying the
> > initialization of eth0.
> >
> > Any Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Nate
> > ps when I install S.U.S.E. from the hard drive it works fine too.
> > and in redhat there is also a failure to load some modules (I did not
> > think pertinent) that seem to have something to do with something else

My module has been loading .   I have reinstalled quite a few times and it did
work everytime before but not now it seeems ..... This trouble started aftere
I installed an old ver of Debian on another partition..  However ,  I have
installed Redhat 4 times since and every time I get the message that it is
delaying initialization of eth0 .  I still have never compiled a kernel.  The
one it's using is the standard install for Red Hat 7

Thanks Nate