[olug] Spawning processes

Chad S. Lauritsen csl at plconline.com
Thu Dec 7 16:41:07 UTC 2000

that depends on what the processes are.

Things get spawned by cron from time to time. Other things get spawned
by init at bootup. many of the things started by init are respawned by
init if they should die. check the following things:

 /etc/inittab -- the config file for init. everything traces back to
here
 su to root and do a 'crontab -l' to see what things are being run by
root
 check your own crontab with 'crontab -l'
 check /etc/crontab
 check user crontab files in /var/spool/cron

"Williams, John W." wrote:

> I have a couple questions I was hoping someone may be able to answer for me.
> I am running Redhat 6.2 and am curious if it is common for my processes to
> be spawning themselves?  What causes this?  Is there an easy solution to
> killing the spawned processes without having to actually suspend and kill
> them individually?  Thanks for any help on this.
>
> John Williams

Chad Lauritsen                          | 1000 N 2nd Ave
System Administrator                    | Logan, IA 51546
Perfection Learning Corporation         | 712-644-2831 Ext 223

The half wit does not know that gold  Makes apes of many men:
One is rich, one is poor,  There is no blame in that. --The Hávamál