[olug] Idea for Topics

JKENNEDY at UP.COM JKENNEDY at UP.COM
Wed Dec 6 14:50:03 UTC 2000

I would like to see this in January...My wife is about to have our baby so
I won't be able to make this months meeting...
I am hoping that I can have the library sorted out by the January meeting
so I can waste a few minutes at that meeting...
John

"puzzled at home.com"@INTERNET
12/05/2000 04:09 PM

Please respond to olug at bstc.net

Sent by:  puzzled at INTERNET

To:   olug at bstc.net
cc:

Subject:  Re: [olug] Idea for Topics

    Lately I've been wrestling with the NetSaint monitor from
http://www.netsaint.org.  NetSaint provides monitoring of hosts via ping
as well as monitoring of many common services such as POP3, SMTP, and so
forth using modular plug ins. For small to medium environments it is easy
to extend the system by writing your own plug ins with perl.

   NetSaint provides an easy to use web interface to examine the status of
monitored systems, email and pager notification, a variety of means to
escalate alerts, and its very easy to extend the system using perl. A big
benefit for those of you with a distributed environment is that NetSaint
understands network hierarchy - if a wan link goes down it can be
configured to 'know' not to bother the administrators of systems on the
other side of the wan link just because a circuit is down.

    As an example of NetSaint extensibility we have one particularly
troubled system that requires frequent hard resets. The symptoms when its
acting out are easily detected with a simple TCP connection and the power
reset is controlled by a telnet accessible box that provides console
connectivity and power control. I plan on whipping up some little script
(with expect? or Net::Telnet for perl maybe) to automate the handling of
the system's bad behavior.

   I don't know if this exactly fits into the definition of a 'server' but
if there are enough interested people I'll turn up and give a short talk
on it.

For additional commands, e-mail: olug-help at bstc.net