[olug] inet

Tim Russell russell at probe.net
Thu Aug 31 22:18:54 UTC 2000

Argh - the command is indeed "xhost +", but you'd better make sure your X is
firewalled off the net before you do it, because it'll let anyone connect,
including to snoop on stuff.  Actually your X ports (6000-6010 or so) should
be firewalled in any case.

The reason you can't connect to IRC is most likely that inetd isn't running
and thus identd is not running, and IRC likes to see that usually.  You can
bring inetd back up and comment out everything except for the "ident" line
to take care of that, or Red Hat 6.2 uses an identd that is standalone - I'm
not sure what version it is, but I bet you could download it from a RedHat
mirror and load that on Mandrake as they're very similar.  That version will
also do cool things like return the wrong username or "MASKED_USER" if you
like.

Tim #1