[olug] breakin?

mesc mescie at home.com
Thu Aug 31 02:56:54 UTC 2000

I was looking through /var/log/secure when  I saw  Jul 23 10:55:38
omhan1 in.telnetd[1049]: connect from 207.114.4.46 and Jul 27 14:29:03
omhan1 in.ftpd[1917]: connect from 203.233.199.252 (yes from last
month,I need to watch my logs better).Now I just have telnet and ftp
enabled on my box so I can telnet out or ftp for files,I'm trying to
figure out SSH so I can do away with these but what I need to know is
are these 2 connections just attempts to connect to my box or did
someone infact connect and login to my box.If  so how can I keep these
ppl  out assuming they are the coming back?

        Thank you,Gary Martin