[olug] getting to emacs

Mark A. Martin mmartin at amath.washington.edu
Tue Aug 22 13:15:20 UTC 2000

I guess that I should also tell you what to do with the rpm file once
you find it on the CD or retrieve it from the FTP site.  Before
installing a package, I usually check to see if there are going to be
any problems such as missing or conflicting dependencies or a corrupt
rpm file by executing

rpm -i --test rpm_file

If this command completes cleanly, I install the package using

rpm -i rpm_file

You can do the same thing for upgrading by substituting the -U flag for
the -i flag.  Just thought it would be worth mentioning in case you
didn't know.

Mark
Mark A. Martin					Dept of Applied Mathematics
http://www.amath.washington.edu/~mmartin	University of Washington