[OLUG] HP IDE cd burner working!

puzzled puzzled at home.com
Fri Apr 21 03:54:03 UTC 2000

   Here are the steps I followed:

    1. Listened closely to Vince's suggested software and its right on - just load gtoaster and look
at its preferences - its a graphical front end and it names every program you need to load.

--- this is the actual list - all are available as RPMs either on redhat CD or via www.freshmeat.net
---
cdparanoia-III-
cdrecord-
cdrecord-cdda2wav-
cdrecord-devel-
cdrecord-mkisofs-
cdtux-
gnome-toaster-
hfsutils-
hfsutils-devel-
mkhybrid-
mkisofs-
mpg123-
sox-

   2. set your IDE burner up to be a scsi device.

A.) I used a stock redhat 6.2 install kernel ( 2.2.14) and from my reading I suspect any 2.2 series
kernel will do the job.

B.) I set up my /etc/lilo.conf like this - don't forget to run lilo after you change its config file

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux
vga=extended
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda1
        append="hdc=ide-scsi"

C.)  after I booted I had to log in as root and 'insmod ide-scsi'

D.) a cdrecord -scanbus then reported my HP 8110 like this

[root at cx54647-b /mnt]# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8100 ' '1.0g' Removable CD-ROM

  Once these steps were complete I could start doing things via gtoaster with my burner - thanks to
everyone for the suggestions.