[OLUG] burning cds - which software to use?

puzzled puzzled at home.com
Wed Apr 19 00:26:38 UTC 2000

   I've got an HP 8100 burner in my machine but I've never figured out how to burn cds with linux. I
would like to create an occasional data backup and possibly burn some audio CDs with it.

   The 8100 and my cdrom are /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd respectively and due to case arrangement and the
fact that I have drives on /dev/hda and /dev/hdb I don't think I can put them on separate  IDE
channels. Is this going to cause a problem? The machine is an Intel P2/350 with plenty of dram and I
mostly browse and do stuff with staroffice - will I be able to use it while burning?

   My current software is Redhat 6.2 and I am running the default kernel.

   Which software should I use for making data CDs? For audio? I'd prefer something that came in RPM
format ... makes my life a lot easier in terms of maintaining systems.