[OLUG] Caution to @home users

Marc Davis mwdib at home.com
Sun Apr 9 13:47:35 UTC 2000

Adam Lassek wrote:

> Wow, they sure layed on the BS pretty thick. This isn't new, though. I
> have a friend on Cox, and he was being scanned months ago.
>    I'd like to know why they're so freaking upset over servers--even
> ones going out--if you're not using  up a whole lot of bandwidth. If I
> wanted to set up my own pop&smtp mail server (mostly just to learn how)
> would they send me a nastygram? It's just email--that would be less
> traffic than browsing the web. Or even a web server. Would my piddly
> little homepage screw over everyone else on my switch? Not likely.

	I've been arguing with them for months about this.  This all started
with the Usenet Death Penalty threat.  Cox avoided the UDP by blaming
insecure user machines for the problem (spam relays through their
network) and promised to start actively scanning.  The first scans they
did went way beyond port 119, including web and telnet ports.
	When I talked to them last week (I get scanned every three to four
HOURS), they cited the recent big DOS attacks as reason to scan.  Here's
an interesting little news story on their attempts to shut down Napster:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,35523,00.html

	I can't ever get a reasonable response out of Cox.  I

Marc

mwdib at home.com
davis at maxx.latesky.net
	Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditonary Force
			1986 - 1957