[olug-colo] Cogent Pricing for 11111M

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 17:29:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM, <dclough at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with Cox business isn't the download speed.  The problem is the Upload speed.  I would have no problem with a Cox modem if we could get at least 10meg up, or symmetrical speeds.  Trying to run even a small datacenter on 2meg means 24/7 link saturation and absolutely no room for expandability.

Indeed.  2meg up is ... squat.  Especially if we have several ppl
using the link at once.... which is the goal.  Granted, if use of the
facilities is governed similar to what Jay used to have (colo on a
limitted pipe), then that's... fine.  But I don't think that's the
goal here.

If someone is looking for a fat pipe and not fiddling with colo stuff,
VPS's with unmetered 10mbit can be had for about $45, unmetered
100mbit for prolly $120.  Full servers can also be had fairly
inexpensively (compared to numbers pushed around here).

As a local colo, this has much more potential than someone just
needing any old server on a very fat pipe.

-Will