[olug-colo] Cogent Pricing for 11111M

Charles.Bird charles.bird at powerdnn.com
Fri Aug 7 17:24:15 EDT 2009

I also have had cox business, it wasnt bad for a few servers, but beyond
that, traffic spikes will kill service availability of all customers. You
can get plenty of IPs through them, but once you get to a certain point one
may as well have the fat pipe from someone with included block of ips(or
cheaper block from carrier).

My visualization is that a higher burst rate is more attractive to potential
clients/partners, is more reliable, more scalable. Unless someone has a good
hookup with cox in getting a cable modem's bandwidth allocation more
symetrical, they arent going to provide a custom setup such as that. i've
talked to them about it in the past and they claim its not possible. I know
that some entities in town have gotten higher upload, but they are usually
huge accounts for cox, and its worth their time to make the custom
allocation.

Soon, most nerds in Omaha can get a cox premier acct and have some good
bandwidth, right now its not bad, and will be better within 6 months. I
would like to stay ahead of the curve so that its really a practical choice
to colo with us.
Its not going to be easy, but I can see that we can have our cake and eat it
too as long as we all start making cake :)

I wouldnt be opposed to getting a Cox cable modem for the first 3 months
while we build out our network, then turn up some fiber. It is logical and a
big money saver. We will be working out some issues at first and we may as
well be running at minimums for that time until we get some OK hvac, and OK
power redundancy.

Also, FYI I can most likley get a customer thats good for 1500 per month and
would possibly scale to double within 4-6 months.
I'll check to see what their time frame is like.
We can do this right without emptying our pockets over and over. The
operation will be expensive, but will become less of a concern very quickly
:)