[olug-colo] Cogent Pricing for 11111M

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Fri Aug 7 16:41:52 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:17, Abraham Serafino<abrahams at teknohazard.com> wrote:
> I may be revealing my ignorance, but that sounds like an awful lot of money?

Disclaimer: All of my knowledge of the Olug CoLo is through the public
e-mail/discussions.  I haven't attended any of the meetings, nor had
any private e-mails with anyone else.

Abraham: In the industry, the pricing is about par for what they are
offering.  Most companies have a large enough cash flow or
deep-pocketed investors that they can jump right in to this level of
financial commitment.  For you and I personally, this is a lot of
money for a fat pipe to the Internet.

Everyone: I think early on the idea of using the "Cox Business"
solution was passed around but shot down.  Since they will put their
business cable-modem in anywhere they have coverage and the monthly
costs are a fraction of the "big guys", is this such a bad option?

Sure, the perception might be a bit low to some, but I had a Business
account with them for about 2 years and it was some of the best
service I ever had.  (I switched when I stopped hosting my own e-mail
server so the home version works just as well.)

Even the most expensive Cox Business Internet (not Fiber or Metro) --
15.0 Mbps down x 2.0 Mbps up -- is only $275/month.  Granted, that's
not the "100 Mbps", but it's faster than the "10 Mbps" quoted for
$1800/month.  And I'd think that we could approach their sales team
and ask for a 10Mbpsx10Mbps link pricing - their speed caps are mostly
in the software from what I understand.

Why not start "small" and when customers start asking about higher
bandwidth, the investigation of an additional link through
Sprint/QWest/Verizon/AT&T/etc can be investigated at that time.  Plus,
if we have a proven business track record, they might be more willing
to work with us on pricing.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Dan

--