[olug-colo] The Legal Mumbo-Jumbo

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Apr 5 18:46:49 EDT 2009

I've got Cisco Catalyst 3550's available ;)

For the uninitiated these are Layer-3 switches. That means IP routing is
integrated into the switch backplane ASICs. The ASICs also support QoS.

In terms of switching capacity - L2 vs L3 makes no difference - the
24-port model is is rated at 6 million packets per second and 10 million
packets per second for the 48-port model.

No IPv6 support though ;( We would need a 3560 or 3750 for that and
those are currently quite expensive.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us