[olug-colo] The Legal Mumbo-Jumbo

Brian Roberson roberson at bstc.net
Sun Apr 5 16:57:11 EDT 2009

I think that is a good idea, We should be focussed on a few other topics for
now, just shooting from the hip:
Logistics:
  - Renting a suite?
  - Renting a cage?
  - Renting an office?

Speed and Feeds:
  - Pinpoint? Cox? Others?
  - initial pipe size - 5Mb? 10Mb?
  - Preferably ethernet handoff?

Billing:
 - Need a baseline of costs for initial door opening
 - Space cost (Cage or suite or building)
 - Connectivity costs ( initial internet access )

Infrastructure:
 - Between Phil & I, we can cover the initial investments of all routing and
switching hardware. (we will stick with Cisco gear for this)
 - IDS/IPS : IDS will be placed on furthest egress point, IDS only, using
snort/acid
 - QOS should be done on a per Ethernet port basis to ensure outbound
traffic is limited(mls qos shaping)
 - per-port traffic metrics will be stored in either RRD's or raw SQL using
netflow collectors (plenty of FOSS tools for this, such as
http://nfsen.sourceforge.net)
 - Build front/backend tools to manage shared services and membership
management:
      -  shared DNS
      -  VPS/XEN allocation/creation
      -  webhosting
      -  billing tools
      - reporting interfaces (traffic, services, etc.)

That is a way short list, but I think everyone see's the scale here :-) I
think we should probably break-up into working groups, and start a weekly
"all-hands" meeting to discuss progress. Wednesdays either a lunch meeting
or after 5:30 works for me. I can find space with a white board and internet
access for sure